Assisted living facilities can offer many advantages to people whose health and vigor are declining. They can also become dangerous places when profits and convenience are greater priorities than residents' well-being. Some common risk factors in assisted living facilities include:
- Failure to place residents in the right level of needed care
- Unsanitary conditions
- Poor screening of staff members
- Inadequate training of staff
- Poor communication among individuals and organizations responsible for the well-being of residents, such as care managers, nurses, nursing aides, dining room staff, therapists, social workers and visiting physicians
- Failure to report injuries, bed sores or evidence of abuse
- Failure to diagnose or treat maladies such as torn skin
- Failure to keep family members informed of falls and other incidents of concern
- Overmedication for the sake of controlling residents
- Scalding water in baths
- Exposure to risk of injury on supervised outings
If your loved one was injured or became inexplicably ill while living in an assisted living facility, you deserve to know what happened. You may also be eligible for compensation for medical expenses, emotional distress and other losses. Talk to an attorney to learn about your options if your family member was apparently a victim of assisted living neglect or abuse.
T.J. Smith Offers Free Consultations — Contact Us If You Or Your Family Member Suffered Injury In An Assisted Living Facility
Assisted living abuse should be investigated. If your loved one was injured or died an unexplained death in an assisted living facility in Kentucky, T.J. Smith, Attorney at Law, can help you explore the causes — and your options. Call 502-792-7937 (Louisville) or 270-261-4114 (Central Kentucky) or send an email. There is no charge for an initial consultation with a lawyer.